Re: [TowerTalk] modeling compare: 80M, 2EL vs 4SQ

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] modeling compare: 80M, 2EL vs 4SQ
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 13:32:43 -0600
StellarCAT says:

If I change to 8mS, about what I had in AZ, indeed the crossover point is now
19 degrees and the 4sq is 5db stronger at say 5 degrees showing what I often
saw on LP and very long contacts again in AZ.

Going back to SC where the ground is 2mS: If I add in a 2el beam at this same
height as the dipole and compare it to the 4sq ... well now the beam is better
at all angles... 3db better at 5 degrees and 6db at 15 deg.

I hope you aren't using that circa 1959 FCC map, that estimates soil conductivity, for antenna modeling in a specific location. Soil conductivity can vary greatly over a very short distance. Farmers have measured soil conductivity across a seemingly uniform field, and have found huge variations - 4:1 is not uncommon.

I have been to your former Arizona QTH. 8 mS ? You have got to be kidding. It's desert. Maybe during a brief summer flash flood, when the salts in the soil are liquified.

In the shameless plug department, I have a used Megger (Biddle) 21822 I would part with for a reasonable offer. I believe it is useful instrumentation for measuring ground conductivity. Contact me directly if interested.

73,
Steve, N2IC