Re: [TowerTalk] modeling compare: 80M, 2EL vs 4SQ

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] modeling compare: 80M, 2EL vs 4SQ
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 21:36:26 -0700

Hhhmmm.  That seems backward to me.

I was always under the impression that radials improved the EFFICIENCY of a vertical antenna by providing a low loss return for near field currents, and that would seem to hold true whether the ground conductivity was "good" or not, since no way would typical ground conductivity ever approach that of a metallic conductor. Efficiency has very little to do with pattern.

I was also under the impression that radials have rather little effect on vertical pattern, since that is affected by ground conductivity many wavelengths away from the antenna.

73,
Dave   AB7E