Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: antenna choices for K4XS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: antenna choices for K4XS
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 22:43:40 -0700
On Sun,4/12/2015 7:01 PM, Jeff AC0C wrote:
The mosleys are popular around the midwest as Mosley is just up the road. And they have one feature that is important here - they have a reputation of staying up in the ice and wind pretty well. The antenna that stays on the tower in the wx is always better than the one that's on the ground.

Yep. VERY important, and structural weakness is one of the major criticisms of some of the lower cost beams.

Having studied N6BT's book on antenna design, it seems clear that the multi-band 2-el Yagis without loading or traps are better performers because that loading and those traps lead to losses and reduced radiation resistance.

I don't think any engineer who has studied Ward and Steve's work, or who has done any serious antenna modeling would be surprised that the difference between the best and worst of the antennas in any logical group is much more than about 3 dB. But it's that 3 dB that we're paying for, whether we buy it or build it!

Except for their ease of installation or ruggedness, there's no brand of Yagi that is better for "your QTH" -- they are all a horizontal antenna at some height above earth, subject to your terrain. But what matters a LOT is what that height and that terrain does to your signal by changing relative strength at different vertical angles.

That's what Bill is talking about with HFTA -- it studies a horizontal antenna at your QTH, based on terrain data from a government agency (USGS?). I used HFTA extensively here. It's why my big tower puts my Yagi at 120 ft, and it's why I stopped there -- it told me to do any better, I'd have to go to 320 ft or so because of the ridge to the north and east of me!

This thread started by talking about cost. Yes, my SteppIR cost me $2k, which is in the range of quality new antennas with comparable performance. The tower could have cost more, by the time I bought it, bought rated hardware so that it can be assembled and guyed safely, pour a safe concrete base, and get it all up in the air. I managed to find second hand Rohn 25 sections in excellent shape at a very nice price, and got a lot of help from my friends, but rated hardware ain't cheap. There's coax (350 ft of 7/8-in hard line that I scrounged), a rotator 350 ft of cable for it, and so on.

So in the big picture, the cost of the antenna itself may not the biggest part of the job.

73, Jim K9YC