Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: antenna choices for K4XS

To: Steve Baughn <baughn@centurylink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: antenna choices for K4XS
From: <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 09:20:14 -0500
If you wanted it to be new and durable, I don't think you could get it done for
$600.

A Cushcraft A3 is $599, but considering how my friend's A4 lost an element due
to the cheap element-to-boom mounting (and that was when the company was owned
by Laird), as well as other observations about where the tubing should be
reinforced, you probably need to put another $100-200 into it. I'm not sure any
if the other $600 tribanders are any better.

At that point, you can start to look at better antennas with better designs.

Of course, going up in size for a bigger used beam increases your tower and
rotator requirements, which defeats the purpose of saving money on the beam...

For the average city ham with average tower, I'd suggest the F12 XR3,4,5 or 6,
depending on how many bands you need or the JK Navassa5 (10,12,15,17, and 20).
For a pure tribander, I like the JK Tribander, but they've removed details of
that antenna from their website.

On the Navassa5, for $80, you can add 6m.

73, Kelly
ve4xt

Sent from my iPad