Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: antenna choices for K4XS

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: antenna choices for K4XS
From: "Gary J - N5BAA" <qltfnish@omniglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 09:45:39 -0500
I have the HexBeam from NA4RR which is $469 plus $39 shipping for the kit. An alternative is to order the center Hub on Ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTENNA-HUB-HEXAGON-SPIDER-BEAM-/261836720894?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf6af4afe and order the spreader arms, wire and tensioning ropes from Max Gain here: http://www.mgs4u.com/index.html and order a center post either from NA4RR or from W5BGP (look him up on QRZ). Ordering the parts you can make the HexBeam for under $375. If you order the center post from W5BGP get him to forward the Power Point Presentation he recently used to make a presentation at our radio club. It is most informative, especially on how to fine tune a hexbeam. The real advantage is that HexBeams seem to work best at heights of 30-35 feet. Much higher than 40 feet they begin to have their unique transmission pattern break down. Shorter masts and towers equals less cost. Works for me.

Gary J
N5BAA

-----Original Message----- From: Joe Subich, W4TV