[TowerTalk] Penetrating Mixtures

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Penetrating Mixtures
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 09:14:14 -0700
I used the veggie oil and acetone mix (but with around 30-40 percent acetone), as outlined in the Drexel U lab report. It worked well on a badly rusted 3/4 bolt at the base of my crankup. I did my mix in a glass jar with a lid that would seal. Actually a large size baby food jar I got from the granddaughter. Didn't need a large amount. The Drexel U lab report notes the use of paraffin to keep the mixtures homogenized but does not note what specific paraffin and amount to use; anyone knowledgeable about this?

Would using ATF instead of veggie oil also benefit from paraffin to preclude separation of the two liquids? I have not used the ATF/acetone solution. Wonder also if the acetone level has to be at the 50% level to work well.

Good idea on the acid flux use brushes, didn't think about that!!!!!

Being a few hundred feet from the ocean I learned, after moving here and getting everything up, that regular hardware, including much of the galvanized stuff, just wouldn't hack it. Now I always replace when necessary with good SS hardware from the local fishing fleet supplier with generous use of their recommended CorrosionBlock compound on all threads and mating surfaces such as tubing.

But, I have an old TH7, partially disassembled, that has been sitting out back on sawhorses since moving here. A couple of the elements tubing have become stuck together such that I can't pull or twist them apart, probably corroded or the like from the local salt air. What is the best penetrating solution to use on aluminum? Would the above mix work without harming the aluminum? Have not tried anything yet and before I do suggestions would be welcome.

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Patrick Greenlee