Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole
From: "Wes Attaway (N5WA)" <wes@attawayforensics.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 14:50:54 -0600
Without getting into a never-ending discussion of "which antenna is best", I would suggest that you consider just dropping 3 or 4 feet of each end straight down so that the remaining horizontal length will fit in your available space. Most of the current is at the center so performance is not much affected (if any).

I am limited to wires at my house and I do have a lot of trees. I have tried a number of variations of wire antennas. One of my best performing antennas is an 80-Meter dipole with about 23' of each end dropped straight down. Iy is up about 70'. I have it fed with 450-ohm line through a 4:1 balun down on the ground and then coax to the house. Whatever the SWR is in the shack the Orion tuner "tunes it" and it works on all bands 80 through 10. I am NOT claiming this is the greatest antenna in the world, but it works extremely well.

In any event, before you run out a buy a new antenna I would recommend that you try dropping the ends enough to allow your existing antenna to fit your space.