Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn towers
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 19:32:12 -0400
Whoa!  I think it's time to look at what people are purchasing!

When you purchase from suppliers There are standard lengths ( usually 24') Different alloys, standard US sizes, and finishes, as well as tolerances.

ALL of these can and generally do have a tremendous impact on prices

Typically: Standard US sizes are generally in fractional inch sizes as in 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2, 3 inches OD as is wall thickness as in 1/8th in, 3/16ths, etc. Decimal sizes and a polished finish add a lot to the price. Mill finish is the cheapest, but has the lowest tolerances.

From my experience, Industrial suppliers "generally" deal in standard sizes. The sizes "and finishes" we generally want are what DXE and I believe, Texas Towers sells. They may be standard to us, but these are non standard sizes and finishes as far as industrial suppliers go. To get that mirror finish and decimal size with 0.001" tolerance takes extra operations, time and money. They are also considered "SMALL" lots which really runs the price up. "I assume" DXE and Texas Towers have to purchase in what we would consider large lots. They have the overhead of all that inventory that they not only have to store, but pay property tax on. In the industry, those are considered small lots and possibly custom sizes. In this market, if you want cheaper prices you purchase in truck loads and I don't mean small stake rack trucks. The sizes and finishes we usually purchase require special care in handling and storage. It doesn't take much of a dent, or scratch to ruin that close fitting tube with a mirror finish when building antennas. So, although expensive, those prices are not out of line.

IF you get a good engineer on the line and tell him or her what you want to do, he may be willing to offer help in selecting what you really need rather than what you think you need. For instance, where strength is involved we generally think of 6061T6 alloy in Aluminum or some of the more exotic steel alloys. There are notably less expensive Al alloys than 6061T6 that are close to it in strength, or even stronger. Ask, don't just specify! Some suppliers will gladly take the time to help a small customer and some will not.

It has been my experience (again I'm speaking of one individual's experience) that suppliers away from the large industrial markets "may" be more willing to help and have lower prices. OTOH if their market is small they may not get the discounts that multi truck load purchaser receive.

Speaking of trucks, they normally deliver to their customers with a truck that would have a problem backing down our road and no way could he make up my driveway to the shop, so they come out with a smaller flat bed for smaller loads to a number of customers. Even in our area, prices from some suppliers can be twice that of others. Some just do not want to mess with small customers.

When I'm dealing with masts, I'm happy to be able to get a "mill finish" in standard sizes which happens to be the lowest price. So what if it gets a few scratches in shipping and handling? They can handle it pretty much like steel except for throwing it onto concrete. I think I have 8, 24' lengths of 1.5" and 2" with 1/8th and 1/4" wall left out in the shop. It's quite handy to have, but those sizes are heavy and do not telescope. 2" with 1/8th, 3/16ths, and 1/4" wall make great Gin Poles. I welded some clamps on thin wall steel that just slides over the tube. Quick and relatively cheap Gin Poles.

With Gin Poles, remember to always use a snatch block at, or near the base of the tower so you don't put any side force on the Gin Pole.

-- 73

Roger (K8RI)

---