Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Rohn towers

To: bcarling@cfl.rr.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Rohn towers
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 19:18:02 -0700
Having bought a lot of steel at recycle yards, unless I was lucky, there was no marking re alloy. The yards I went to just piled everything up by size/type, they wouldn't want to represent for liability reasons the alloy of anything except to say "it's probably steel" .

A DOM clue is tube sizing (fractional inch) rather than IPS (water pipe) sizing, I took a caliper and checked ID/OD. You will not see or feel a weld bead in the ID of the pipe as the mandrel drawing process reworks the weld. That *likely* indicates an alloy tube rather than misc water pipe steel from where-ever with maybe welding. There were also piles of poorly welded square and round tubes that failed mill inspection, I avoided them.

I looked for "drill pipe", a ranchers favorite for unbendable fencing, it is very likely to be a higher strength alloy steel. A good clue it is drill pipe is the ends are threaded with threads you've never seen before. Male one end, female the other. There are dozens of thread types. Take a file and if the edge skips, then it is a hard alloy steel. Usually, pretty rusty, but if labor is free... But, it will be tough to cut to length, I used a torch or plasma since the hardness dulls most bandsaw blades. Or have the yard torch cut it and grind it to better looking at home.

A very few times I've been lucky enough to find scrap mill marked 4130 or 4340 or 1020. For solid bar drops out of screw machines or bar feeders, the mill hammered stamp might be there on the raw end. One great find was a huge piece of O-1 tool steel worth new $1k from Starrett, bought for $18 on the scale for 35 cents per pound with the Starrett tag still on it. It all goes in the same electric furnace when sold to a mill.

SIMS-LMC I think is the biggest recycler, at least in CA, and was my favorite for good finds. They also stocked new smaller structural shapes L, bar, flats, sq tube, WFB, etc

Grant KZ1W