Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Weight of tower on the main bearing of a rotating

To: Richard Thorne <rthorne@rthorne.net>, Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Weight of tower on the main bearing of a rotating tower?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 08:12:40 -0700
Get out your trig capable calculator and you can get a rough estimate of the vertical load from the guys.

A guy generates a horizontal force that provides the force to resist the wind and a vertical force which has no benefit, but is the value of interest to you. If G is the guy tension, and A is the angle of the guy to the tower, then two formulas resolve the guy tension into the horizontal force H and the vertical force V

sin(A) = H/G and cos(A)= V/G check: when A=0 then the guy is straight up and provides no H and all V since cos(0)=1
Or rearranging, H=G*sin(A)  and V= G*cos(A)

Now some assumptions, which ignore a bunch of reality

1. the wind is blowing directly on one set of guys and they are taking all of the wind load. 2. the guy tension is the same in each guy level, an alternative assumption is the H force is the same at each level, then calculate G etc. Neither are correct for a number of reasons. 3. the maximum guy tension is the recommended 40% of breaking strength (I think a common misconception is 6700# breaking strength guys are good for 6700#. That is true, but they will permanently stretch well before 6700# load which is obviously a bad thing in a guy system. So let's assume that conservative engineering was done for your design). Note, if larger guys are used for top guys then use the 40% of breaking strength for that diameter.

For each guy level calculate the force V and add them up for a rough estimate of the wind load on the rotating bearing.

I'm not a PE, but do remember a bit of mechanics from my BS Eng. Caveat emptor! Best you ask a structural engineer for an answer.

Grant KZ1W