[TowerTalk] Rotor loop coax choices ?

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotor loop coax choices ?
From: Mark Spencer <mspencer12345@yahoo.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 13:16:18 -0700
Hi, I've typically used RG 214 for rotor loops with good success.  I've more or
less run out of RG 214 and am wondering about the pros and cons of Belden
9913F7 (the newer style of 9913) and flexible lmr 400 style cable (the type
with the stranded center conductor.)

I've had good results with 9913F7 in the past but have never used it for a loop
around a rotor and it is now hard to obtain locally over the counter.

I picked up a short run of generic FLexible LMR 400 to try out but am not sure
this is the correct choice.  I'll likely use it for patch cords.

The price for new RG 214 is causing me to look for alternatives and I used it
in the past because I had it on hand and it seemed suited to this application.

I have nagging doubts about using cables with a solid foil shield for a rotor
loop.

I do like the idea of double shielded cables so RG213, RG 8 etc are off the
table for now.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks
Mark Spencer