Re: [TowerTalk] burying cable

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] burying cable
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 03:05:25 -0400
It depends on the soil, the moisture content and the freeze thaw rate and cycles.

I have a man door on the shop where they did not go deep enough with the sand over which we poured the stoop, or porch floor. In the summer that door clears the concrete by several inches. In the winter I can only open the door about 30 degrees before it hits the concrete. If I had direct bury coax coming up through that, it would pull it apart. The soil is either sand, clay, or peat with a high moisture content. This year the frost may have made 10 to 12". Code calls for either 30, or 36" deep for water lines. The frost line may move up and down 4 or 5 time in our winters and sometime it hardly moves all winter.

So coax around here is pulled through 4 or 5" conduit although the 5" is 1/8th inch wall sewer pipe. All 90 deg bends are two 45 deg sweeps. Even in the harshest winters the frost is no where that deep EXCEPT under driveways and sidewalks.

Trenching 4 to 5' is quite easy if you do not have a lot of rocks. I rented a skid steer trencher and did about 130' diagonally across the driveway from the power pole to the meter on the house. I think it took less than an hour with the driveway being the slowest. IIRC I snapped a shear pin in there somewhere. I put 4" conduit down 4' and the cable feed a foot above that in 1/2" PVC. The crew was really happy to see tht pull line already in place. They used it to pull their half inch (I think). IIRC they didn't even bother with pull/wire soap.

 73

Roger (K8RI)