Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew tower...

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew tower...
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 17:16:22 -0700
See:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/18794861@N00/2340109594/

The "Mirador"

About 8 years ago when I was at the "Maker Faire"
(by Make Magazine) there was an exhibit of a
tower made out of electrical conduit.  Each
conduit had the end flattened with a hole
drilled through it.  There were a series of
horizontal hexagonal "wheels" that were supported
by diagonal pieces.  The wheels got progressively
smaller as you went up.  The guy who built it would
climb up the tower to take photographs.  The
spacing between the horizontal assemblies was
something like 5 feet.  I guess this guy assembled
the whole thing in situ at the Faire!  He told me
there is some machine tool he used (it had a weird
name) that could either flatten or punch holes in
the ends of the conduit.

The tubes you have sound like "3/4 inch" water
pipe.  They are going to be more difficult to flatten
and drill at the end than conduit, which is designed
to be formed.

Unfortunately, it is dangerous to weld galvanized
material, so you have to fasten it together with
bolts.

Rick N6RK