Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Posts Math

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Posts Math
From: "J. Hunt via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 14:45:37 -0700
I have engineered towers and the respective foundations many times over the
years for people.
Some have been dead-man anchors into the ground, some have been on steel posts
above ground.
Some have been free-standing towers, setting on three piers.

My 116' Rohn 25g tower/antenna has a "torque bar" assembly at midpoint and a
"star-guy" assembly at tower apex.
It is an extremely stable structure due to its engineering.

The 8" diameter steel guy posts are elevated off the ground, with back-guy
supports.  Each post is minimum 7' buried with 3' diameter hole which was
belled out at the bottom.  The rock layer starts ~30" below grade at my
property.  The post was studded with rebar along with the hole prior the
concrete pour.  Each post concrete riser is minimum 6" above grade to prevent
water migration.

The structure has been standing >17 years, with no guy post movement.
The same structure was standing in Midland, Texas for 12 years, taken down and
re-assembled.

The posts are elevated so the guy cables will clear the roof line.

Thanks N 73,
James Hunt
ki5dq