Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering Stations

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering Stations
From: Bryan Fields <Bryan@bryanfields.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 03:24:27 -0400
On 7/28/15 11:56 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:
> Questions concerning the Metcal heating technology:  (1) In the event the RF
> heating element fails, what is the typical replacement cost?; and

I bought new tips for $15 per tip at Dayton from my contact listed earlier.

> (2) should
> the RF heating element last longer than traditional controlled temperature
> elements as used by Weller, Hakko, and others?

If you use the magnetic rest holder I posted a link to earlier, it will last
longer as it brings the working temp down when it's in the holder.  A
conventional heated iron/station will be at temperature so long as the station
is on.

I typically go thorough one tip every year.  I use my iron three to four times
per week.

--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice