Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering Stations

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering Stations
From: Tom_N2SR via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 17:50:16 +0000 (UTC)
Back in 1993, I bought a Weller soldering station brand new in a box.  It was a
new "ESD series" with a grounded tip.  It's brown in color, not the
typical greenish color.  It has a digital readout and is temperature
adjustable.   In my solder training courses, the instructors always said to
melt some solder on the tip (don't wipe it off) if you are going to keep it on
for a long time and not use it.  I also do that if I am going to turn off the
iron.  Melt some solder, then turn it off, and let the solder harden on the
tip.  That will keep the tip from oxidizing to the point of having to file it
to get the tip to accept solder.   Tom, N2SR