Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600 up to the top of tower ?

To: john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600 up to the top of tower ?
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 22:02:45 -0400
On 8/1/2015 john@kk9a.com wrote:

> I would never run one piece of coax underground that far and then up the
> tower, especially with a crank-up.  The tower piece will likely get damaged
> at some point.  LMR600 is not that flexible and certainly would not be good
> for your rotator loop.  I would direct bury large Heliax underground and
> then use something flexible and tough (like Belden 8267) on the crank-up
> tower.

> John KK9A

Yep  -  Remember,  your coax shield should be tied to the tower at the
bottom AND the top.  (Gee,  yes  you can carefully strip the outer jacket and
bond,
but  easiest way is something like a PL-259 bulkhead connector mounted
to the tower (or polyphasor or similar - at least at the bottom)

You  can  easily  transition from one type of coax to another at these
points - tun the 600 to the bottom of the tower, and then buryflex (or
say  LMR400)  up, and then transition to something flexible at the top
ground  point.  All done, simple, and you are on your way to the start
of proper grounding too
--
73 de KG2V - Charles Gallo
Quality Custom Machine-shop work for the radio amateur (sm)

www.baysidephoto.com
www.thegallos.com