[TowerTalk] RG8X connector issues

To: tnoel@mac.com, KK4CPS@gmail.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] RG8X connector issues
From: TexasRF--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2015 09:29:19 -0400
Hi Thomas, I have seen your RG8X/connector issue on occasion. Generally,
the cause is the center conductor is deformed when the cable is cut. The fit
is  very tight as you mentioned and it takes very little deformation of the
center  conductor to prevent insertion into the center pin.

There are cutters available that cut cleanly, making it much easier.
Typically many users will use diagonal cutters and they work by mashing the
cable fibers enough sever them. Close inspection will show the flattened strand

ends.

Sometimes you can sort of reshape the center conductor with long nose
pliers and clean up the center conductor o.d. with a small file or Dremel
tool.
A Dremel tool also will cut the center conductor cleanly without  smashing
the fibers.

This same problem can also happen with Buryflex, LMR400 and 9913F7 cables
and PL259 connectors due to slightly larger center conductor.

Hope this helps.

73,
Gerald K5GW
GM Texas Towers

In a message dated 9/6/2015 7:39:01 A.M. Central Daylight Time,