Re: [TowerTalk] Omnidirectional antenna for domestic contests

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Omnidirectional antenna for domestic contests
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 01:36:08 -0700
On Fri,10/9/2015 12:26 AM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
For me in lower MI about half of the states are between, 200 to 600 miles. Extend that to 800 miles and it's nearly 3/4.

Yeah, those flyover states and the hams who live in them don't matter. :)
Except for Ca the major # of hams is under 700 miles. Max stateside is the west coast at 2000 miles. That means several antennas for distance to the W and SW

Not necessarily -- a high horizontal antenna with good low angle radiation still has plenty of radiation at higher angles. 150-20 degrees is a very good angle for stations in the 600-800 mile range, and, by inverse square law, a station at 800 miles is 7 dB closer than one at 1800 miles.

Typically F/B is more important than gain,

Huh? For what reason? Especially for contesting and DX, I want maximum smoke! I'll reserve F/B for RX antennas.

but I need short, medium and long distance from SW to W

If you understand how horizontal antennas work and understand inverse square law, you need only one for any given direction, as high as most hams can hang it. For ANY distance, it's awfully hard to beat a pair of high dipoles at right angles to each other, and switch between them. "High" means "the best that you can do. :) I can do 140 ft, and I'm loud on 80 and 40 at both long and short distances.

Study http://k9yc.com/VertOrHorizontal-Slides.pdf

73, Jim K9YC