Re: [TowerTalk] Omnidirectional antenna for domestic contests. Re: Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Omnidirectional antenna for domestic contests. Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 154, Issue 18
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 10:51:07 -0700
On Wed,10/14/2015 9:45 AM, Tom Osborne wrote:
The 400 mile distance gets me into eastern Oregon, Northern California, and western Idaho. Not a whole lot of activity going on in those areas. Being right on the ocean I don't start getting into population areas until I hit, at least, Colorado. Quite a bit of activity in Washington so that is a plus, but not like the big population centers.

Yup. From my QTH 70 miles S of San Francisco, the next population center is LAX, at 300 miles, SDG at 400+. It's 600 miles to AZ, 800 miles to Seattle and Salt Lake City. Denver is nearly 1,000 miles. The populated part of TX is 1,200 or more. IL/WI is 1,900 miles.

That's why it's nice to have 2 different antennas for 80 meters.

IMO, if you can hang a high 80M dipole, the only reason to have another 80M antenna is to put it at 90 degrees to the first one. My experience and my modeling show that. When working US, I mostly run my dipole broadside east, and switch to the other one to hear weak US stations calling me.

Several years ago, I added a reflector to that E-facing dipole to pick up a few dB on the east coast and EU.

73, Jim K9YC