Re: [TowerTalk] RFI Broadcast Station Mixing in Crank-Up tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RFI Broadcast Station Mixing in Crank-Up tower?
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 02:09:51 -0400
There are a lot of possible spots where the  mixing can happen.

This brings up the question: Mixing with what? Nearby AM stations, ham bands, and why every 10 KHz? What is the primary station, or stations and their frequencies?

"Any section" making poor contact with those above or below, making contact with coax braid, tension causing poor contact in connectors.

It's pretty certain it's related to cranking the tower up, but is it due to poor contact in that position, or that it picks up more signal?

I assume the mixing is gone during the raising and lowering process. If not, does it just get weaker as the tower is lowered?
I'd be surprised that it's not strong near the full extension while moving.

Places to start:: If the mixing is only present at full extension, check for tension on the coax at the antennas, rotator loops, and at the cable stand offs. Check the cable jackets, particularly where they pass through the stand offs. Check cable jackets where they can move against each other.

Use a VNA to check all coax at full and partial extension. Don't ignore rotator cables and connectors either If you don't have one, beg, borrow, or purchase one. With the tower fully extended on a windy day, watch the traces for changes. Have you tried a spectrum analyzer? Even the ones in the newer rigs can be helpful, but you need to look between the bands as well.

Check the places on the tower sections where the skids/pads contact adjacent sections for excessive wear and or missing galvanizing,

When the local repeater was here, I could block a 50W mobile a mile or two distant simply by rubbing a 10" screwdriver against any of the galvanized guy wires which were broken up with insulators. I had a TB3 tribander just below the repeater antenna @ 90 feet. Legal limit on 10, 15, or 20 did not bother the repeater.

73

Roger  (K8RI)