Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Thrust Bearings

To: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>, "<towertalk@contesting.com>" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Thrust Bearings
From: Jon Pearl - W4ABC <jonpearl@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 09:36:44 -0500
Hi Grant,

Here are a few sites that I keep on tap that others may find of interest:

http://www.boatoutfitters.com/cut-to-size-white-white-king-starboard
http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/king_starboard/526
https://www.interstateplastics.com/Uhmw-Natural-Virgin-Sheet-UHMNV~~SH.php?vid=201312282312-9p
http://www.mcmaster.com/#uhmw-polyethylene-sheets/=zmvqqd

Jon Pearl - W4ABC

On 11/1/2015 9:16 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
Agree. Rulon and TFE filled or plain polyamides (e.g. Vespel) are indeed "crazy expensive" and not at all needed for radial or thrust. UHMW is a small fraction of their costs and works just fine at the PV's (pressure x velocity) that is found in tower/mast rotation systems. UHMW will creep more but that makes little difference in a tower thrust or radial bearing. My 3" x 22' mast thrust + radial bearing is a 5" diameter 1/4" SS disk screwed with flat head screws to an aluminum sleeve with 8 grub screws to secure it to the mast. The disk rests on a 6x6x4" UHMW block bored 3.040" for a 3" mast. I think the parts cost was $50 for UHMW, plus $40 for the 6061 and SS and bolts (I did the machining).

I designed a 10.5' tall swing arm assembly for mounting two large yagis and it has a UHMW bearing as I described at the top but then decided to use individual ring rotators.

Grant KZ1W

---