Re: [TowerTalk] Myantennas

To: Daniel Danny Horvat <danny.e73m@myantennas.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Myantennas
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 04:04:40 -0800

On 11/20/2015 6:31 PM, Daniel Danny Horvat wrote:

BTW I own an old HP/Agilent 8711 network analyzer and would love to here how
would you measure insertion loss of 4:1 (200:50) TLT with any network
analyzer? Enlight me please.

Not with just "any network analyzer", like the 8711; you need a 4 port network analyzer, such at the Agilent E5071C with 4 port option.
I've measured many baluns with one of those.  Gives common mode
and differential mode s parameters, with programmable Zo for
each port. Also measures imbalance. The Agilent software will walk you through the set up.

Second, your proposal of better 4:1 BALUN for OCF antenna involving 4:1
balanced transformer in cascade with current 1:1 BALUN is impractical, given
the fact that broadband 3-30MHz balanced transformer will always have more
insertion loss than simple 4:1 transmission line transformer formed with two
separate 1:1 current BALUNS.

My homebrew broadband 1.8-54 MHz 9:1 transformer has very low insertion loss. If it didn't, it wouldn't be able to handle 1.5 kW without over
heating.  Has worked for me for many years.

73

Rick N6RK