Re: [TowerTalk] Radial Connection to tower

To: Kevin Shea <fourstar4sale@yahoo.ie>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial Connection to tower
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 08:26:05 -0800

On 12/12/2015 6:35 AM, Kevin Shea wrote:

80' free standing AN Tower.  It sits on a 12X12 base of concrete.
My plan is to place a copper tubing ring around the outside of the
base (slightly buried) to it I will connect radials for 40/80/160.
My intent is to feet the tower to act as a vertical on those bands.
how best to connect the ring to the tower?

I have played around with this problem and made some actual
measurements.  My conclusion was you need a considerable number
of radials between the ring and the tower; at least 12 and
preferrably 20 or 30, especially on 40 meters.  A mesh is a
lot of trouble and would need to be fairly closely spaced
to be effective.

Regarding 40 meters:  I don't know how that is going work
for a grounded 80 foot tower, with some Yagi's on it.  I
would be interested in your design.  Have you modeled anything?

Rick N6RK