Re: [TowerTalk] Radial Connection to tower

To: "'Stan Stockton'" <wa5rtg@gmail.com>, "'Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist'" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial Connection to tower
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 12:53:20 -0600
Another way to think about this is that your antenna starts at ground. When
you have a long ground lead (any length) from the radial system to your feed
point that lead is part of your antenna. It doesn't matter that your feed
point may be a few feet above ground, the whole distance from the top of the
vertical right to the ground plane is going to look like part of the
antenna.

By adding the radials you have increased the ground plane and moved it
closer to the antenna and shortened the antenna.

73
Gary  K4FMX