[TowerTalk] Mast diameter

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast diameter
From: Bill Cotter <n4lg@qx.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 16:55:49 -0500
Howard,

Over thirty years ago I bought a 21ft high carbon steel fence post/rail for chain link fence from our local fence wholesaler. It was 1.9" OD, 1/4" wall thickness and very heavy (75-100lbs). I used it to support a 3ele10M yagi, 3ele12M yagi and 3ele15M yagi with 13ft out of the tower and 8ft in the tower, up at 85ft.

Perhaps ten years later we had a tornado nearby and winds in the 100mph range bent the mast about 5deg off center. The mast no longer slid down the thrust bearing, and I had to remove the mast with two of the yagis still attached. It was a bear to remove. The lesson learned was to insert a 10ft smaller diameter high carbon steel tube inside the 1.9" mast 2ft below and 8ft above the thrust bearing to help mitigate the bending moment.

My point here is that you may not have a schedule 80 water pipe, but perhaps a similar mast to what I had. The weight may be the clue. Before about the year 2000 the galvanized 2" 146,000psi chrome-moly masts of the 22-24ft type were not commonly available. All you could easily find were the 90,000psi high carbon steel 1.9" masts (chain link fence posts) and undesirable schedule-80 water pipe.

73 es Merry Christmas - Bill N4LG