Re: [TowerTalk] 4 Square in the future?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 Square in the future?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 16:56:15 -0800
On Sun,12/27/2015 1:00 PM, Gary Smith wrote:
Any thought or links to topics that might help will be appreciated.

Your objective requires a LOT of research. It can be VERY tough to find an RF-quiet QTH -- even living in the boonies, neighbors have noisy power supplies for lighting, noisy appliances, etc. and power lines can be noisy. You can buy/build in the middle of nowhere, and 5-10 years later find a subdivision at your property line. That's happened to at least two superstations I know of. I have 8.5 acres, my nearest neighbors are about 250 ft from my antennas, and I have more noise every month or so.

You'll need to study carefully any zoning or county building restrictions. And you'll have to avoid any sub-divisions, which will be both noisy and have restrictions that will make life miserable.

You'll need to STUDY antennas a LOT. Start with the ARRL Antenna Book and the ON4UN Book (the latter especially for 160, 80, and 40M antennas and propagation). Big trees are very good, because they're inexpensive supports for wire antennas. But you'll need to pay professionals to climb them, which ain't cheap.

There are several tutorials about planning for antennas on my website. k9yc.com/publish.htm including one dedicated to 160M. Almost everything on it applies to 80M, but scaled by a factor of 1/2.

73, Jim K9YC