Re: [TowerTalk] 4 Square in the future?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 Square in the future?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 07:08:36 -0800
On 12/28/15 6:13 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
The 4 square spacing is much different for 160m, 80m and 40m. I do not see
how you could use the same verticals on each band.

If you want the classical 1/4 wavelength spacing between elements, yes, you couldn't use the same elements for all three bands.

However, consider that one of the big assets of the 4 square is that it allows significant F/B ratio or placing a system null on "the wrong direction". You can do this with almost any arrangement of elements, although the feed network isn't quite as simple.

 Building a triband
vertical controller would also be a challenge.

Basically, you'd have 3 separate controllers, one for each band, with appropriate tuned networks to get the phasing right for each band. Actually, you could probably come up with a fairly simple relay system to switch things around. And, the phasing network can be designed to take care of matching the antenna, too.

A lot depends on the symmetry of your antenna array, especially the soil properties. I've done some measurements on pairs of verticals at various spacings in a local park, and there are significant variations in soil characteristics over relatively small distances. Soil water content is, I think, the big thing, but skin depth is a few meters, so subsurface layers also have an effect.

Unless you're building your array in a uniform field with uniform soil properties, like N6RK out in California's central valley (10,000 feet of perfectly uniform sediment washed out of the Sierra Nevada over millenia, and remarkably flat for miles), your array won't perform like the ideal array. It will probably be "good enough", but you might not get a nice 20 dB null in some directions.

You can have separate 4
square arrays in the same area. I would pick a shortened yagi over a 4
square on 40m. Shortened verticals work fine on top band, even K9DX's
massive 9 circle array used Titanex (~90') verticals. It is easy to
homebrew a vertical of any height.

Finding an RF quiet location is very difficult. Even if you find a quiet
location, noise sources will pop up. Your odds are better the further you
are from civilization, but then you're also living far from services. Like
everything, there are compromises.

John KK9A