Re: [TowerTalk] how does one accomplish a 'stub' for destroying resonanc

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] how does one accomplish a 'stub' for destroying resonance on yagi elements?
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 17:07:04 -0500
Hi Bob.... the parasitic elements are all DC grounded... so although I could do
something possibly with the driven element it would probably not really gain me
a great deal.

Jim,

Thanks for the comment... see above – so no way to do networks at the center.
Before I bought the antenna I was reassured it would not be a problem – by Mike
himself. It took LOTS of asking to finally get that to happen (a response to
any of my questions related to actual use) ... and to be honest I had modeled
the 15’s and added in a 2 element full size 40 model and found that it did not
interact... I mentioned that to Mike and didn’t hear anything back on that (no
“you idiot, of course there will be interaction”) ... so apparently the
modeling didn’t work or more than likely I did something wrong. it wasn’t until
I asked around and found someone to actually check the SWR of the 40 on 15,
thanks ti Richard, N5ZC who said it was really low – that is when I got
concerned about it.

Some will say just live with it – but I’m one of those anal retentive ones that
believes when you invest a bit of $$ (not a small one at that) you’d rather
have most things ‘right’ ... I’m always in the camp of “a 1/2 db won’t matter
... but a 1/2 here and a 1/2 there and 1/3 here begin to add up to real losses
(or savings)”.

Finally: VE4XT, Kelly, wrote to me direct and had suggested an open sleeve stub
with the ‘open’ end near the boom.... it turns out that is what Optibeam do on
theirs only the open end is out on the element. Thanks to Kelly for suggesting
this. I’m going to see if I can figure something out for this. If the stub
needs to be 1/4 wl for 15 then there isn’t enough room to place it before the
LL attachment point as it is only 10’ out ... however from what I can see on
the Optibeam antenna theirs is just under 9’ long...

Gary

Gary,

How about if you "open" the driven element and the directors with relays and
then the 40M el's will be invisible
on 15.  ?

Bob
K6UJ