Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] How far away from the shack for that mighty fine

To: dw <bw_dw@fastmail.fm>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] How far away from the shack for that mighty fine tower :-]
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 20:58:51 -0800
Planning helps. I built a spread sheet for all antennas with expected length of EVERY coax length amplifier SO239 to antenna feedpoint with the db loss/ft for that particular antennas frequency (or the highest for multiband antennas).

My goal was less than 1db feedline loss on every band, so then I picked the lowest cost quality coax to achieve that. Considering what a tower will cost to get 8db over some wires, it seems foolish IMO to throw away several db's to save money on coax. So for 10-20m I use 7/8 hardline (LDF5 and AVA5) from amplifier Buryflex pigtail to rotator pigtail. Then 1/2 hardline the same on (LDF4) 80/40. Max calculated loss turned out at 0.8db. My used hardline purchase came with boxes of 7/16 DIN connectors and they are cheap on ebay for LDF.

I've found that 7/8 (LDF5) is now hard to find used/surplus, if you can find some LDF5 grab it, as it is no longer in production. The AVA replacement requires different tools and connectors and is much more fragile, but I didn't have enough used LDF5 so had to buy 350' new AVA. LDF4 is still pretty plentiful surplus/used I think. Andrew stuff seems to last forever so if it is not damaged it is probably ok loss wise.

Lots of hams direct bury hardline but I took the conservative approach for critter protection and vehicle traffic and used glued joint 3" sch 40 conduit. (why let water in?? ) One for 2xAVA5+1xLDF4, another for 1xAVA5+3xLDF4, and a third for all control cables. If you go bigger than 3" for conduit consider SDR35 pipe. Also remember all cables should pull together, probably a must for a 300' run and you may need a winch plus a Kellem grip on the cables. It takes 4 to 6 people to safely feed/pull multiple hardlines into a conduit. My underground pulls were 115' and all went easily by hand with 4 of us.

I recently saw Tessco selling an Andrew competitor 7/8 on sale for less than $2/ft. That is a good deal. Shop around on the cell system suppliers websites, it was easy to open an CC account with two I do business with.

It's pretty hard here to find free spool ends of large diameter CATV hardline. You may get lucky, but it is 70 ohm.

Grant KZ1W