Re: [TowerTalk] Andrew FSJ4-50 issues

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Andrew FSJ4-50 issues
From: David Aslin G3WGN <david@aslinvc.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 17:46:18 +0000
I believe that once water has penetrated the outer covering of FSJ cables, they
are more prone to wicking the water into the inner insulation and conductor.
They have a spiral outer conductor, which means there is a spiral join all
along the copper which can allow water inside; unlike LDF types which have a
continuous corrugated outer conductor, which therefore has no join for water to
enter (except at the connector).  So any slight damage to the outer of FSJ
(which may not be easily visible) will allow water ingress right through to the
inner.  Doesn't mean FSJ cannot be used outside, but it is more risky as
abrasion or cut of the outer coating will likely let water in to an extent that
deteriorates the cable's performance.
Net: Jim, your buddy with lots of FSJ outside is going to see more water
ingress problems...
73, David G3WGN  M6O