[TowerTalk] Rohn Bolts AND nuts - won't mate

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn Bolts AND nuts - won't mate
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 01:47:11 -0800
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 11:12:13 -0500
From: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd:  Rohn Bolts AND nuts - won't mate

Is this just an other example of the Chinese lack of quality assurance? I have
seen mane examples of that in the past.

It appears to me that the "pimples" are made too deep.

I find Rohn's answer despicable. They should just send you a new set of nuts,
nuts that they checked against their own specifications.

Hans – N2JFS

##  Even Portland Bolt buys  chinese imported nuts + bolts.  Some of it is
good, and some is junk.  On a similar note, locally we are having
one of our 100 year old bridges replaced.  Turning into a real gong show.  Main
contractor just finished building a new bridge in VE3 land,
which ended up getting shut down for several days, bad expansion joints...in
the middle of winter.   No alternate path either, so the trans canada
gets  cut off...... totally un acceptable.  Same contactor is building our new
bridge downtown. His sub contractor decides to buy steel, and nuts and bolts
from china.  This has turned into a real disaster, with huge cost overuns, and
junk material. The latest is... you cant even weld to it !!    WTF.  Dunno what
alloy
they are using, buts its not even close to what was originally speced.  Huge
sections of it have had to be torn down and new replacement steel is no where
in site.
New bridge is not expected to be  functioning till late 2019, way behind
schedule.

##   Meanwhile, the head of the Canadian steel manufacturing, that represents
all the various steel manufacturers in VE3 land  comes on
TV...and sez....  told ya so. cdn steel makers could have easily supplied the
correct steel, on time,and on budget.
But local city hall folks wanted to save 50 cents, and went to the lowest
bidder.   So far, we have saved nothing, and will be in the hole when all is
said and done.
Then to top it all off, the main contractor appears to have no clue as to how
to build a new bridge in the 1st place.

##  I had the 12 x 60 inch long x 1.125 inch diam anchor bolts for my HDX-689
custom made by portland bolt, they were manufactured in their portland plant,
to my specs, with a 6 inch thread on each end of each rod...and are 103 ksi
yield strength.   The various heavy duty nuts, washers, bolts etc, are also
made in their
plant. Including the 18 x 1 inch x 3 inch long bolts for the legs, with correct
length shank.

##  when u see dimples done wrong, excess galvanizing, threads done wrong, dont
fight with it, replace the entire mess.   And avoid chinese made brake rotors
like the
plague, they come warped right out of the box, or will warp shortly afterwards.
  Their calipers are junk as well.   Im lucky I avoided that gong show, and
bought reputable
aftermarket brands.  Those pal nuts that came with my  rohn  TB-4  bearings
were nothing to right home about, and neither were the bolts that came with
them.  The 3 x bolts
that are mounted transverse, and every 120 degs  were more junk.  Mine rusted
and seized up asap, sri, not impressed.

Jim   VE7RF