Re: [TowerTalk] Radial question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 09:00:18 -0800
On Sat,2/27/2016 7:49 AM, Vincent Weal wrote:
I'm installing a 40/80 meter vertical (DX Engineering 8040VA-1) which calls
for 65 foot radials. However, I recently saw a video of an antenna
presentation by W3LPL in which Frank suggests 70 foot radials for an 80
meter antenna. I'll be burying the radials about an inch in the ground.

Several thoughts. First, length of elevated radials IS somewhat critical, because length affects current distribution, which in turn affects loss. N6LF, who has done what may be the most extensive work on this, suggests that elevated radials by a few percent shorter than resonant.

Second, if you have a lot of radials on/in the ground, length is far less critical, and a good rule of thumb is "more is better" and "longer is better."

Third, proximity to earth strongly affects the velocity factor of a conductor, and significantly lowers the resonant frequency. This can easily be a factor of 0.7 - 0.6 for radials laying on or in the ground. Applying this factor, for 80m, radials in the range of 50 ft would be close to resonance.

If you want to go to the source on this, google to find N6LF's website and prepare yourself for a lot of reading.

73, Jim K9YC