Re: [TowerTalk] Radial question

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial question
From: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 00:14:27 +0000
> For ground-laid radials, didn't Jim make the point that they serve primarily
> to shield the Earth from the antenna's RF?

> 73, kelly, ve4xt

That's true - to shield the radiating antenna from the LOSSY earth.  Some
self-proclaimed experts have argued with me on that point, saying I was wrong
and that the function of the radials is not to act as a shield, but to return
earth currents back to the base of the vertical  with minimal resistive loss.
Equally true.  It's only a matter of semantics.

The earth makes a poor conductor for gathering the displacement currents from
the antenna and returning them to the base of the radiator.  The radial wires
each act like a shunt  wire to short out the ground resistance return the
current with less loss,  effectively by-passing the lossy earth.  By
definition, a shield. No matter which way you look at it, we are talking about
the exact same phenomenon.

Don k4kyv