[TowerTalk] Foundation and ReBar Work

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Foundation and ReBar Work
From: Marko Myllymaki <marko.l.myllymaki@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 01:41:42 -0800
Hello,

Interesting tower foundation cost information on these threads.
Here is my information from fall 2013 when I installed two UST HDX-589
towers in same time about 165 ft apart from each others.
Here in San Diego area I paid total $4150 for all foundation work, ie
digging 2 holes, rebar, 2.5 trucks of concrete, pump equipment on site etc.
Additionally same contractor later grouted below both baseplates and I gave
him $100 for that.

I think it was very good price as I observed daily those 3 guys digging
those 2 holes for 2-3 weeks by hand and with simple jackhammer.  That was
hard work.  Earth is decomposed granite here and very hard.   I asked 3 or 4
quotes and it happened that this concrete contractor is my neighbor who I
did not know before he called me back and he gave me best price of all
quotes.  I think highest quote for whole job was twice as high ie about 8k.
So it is definetly worth to get multiple quotes.  They were not working
every day and whole thing took perhaps a month as they were doing this job
between bigger jobs they had ongoing, except that 3 diggers were here almost
every day for that 2-3 weeks.

I had holes and rebar cage done 1 foot deeper for both towers than what UST
specs requires.  That extra foot took probably 1-2 days for them to dig.
Reason for extra depth is slightly sloping terrain around one of the towers
and then there was some doubt on which side the depth is measured for
"undisturbed earth".  I asked county inspector here that if I just do it 1
foot deeper then do we need to discuss it and he said that it would be best
solution and we would not need to talk about it further.

Btw, my contractor who in past had worked in some engineering firm and big
projects like bridges etc told me that US Tower really specifies lot of
steel for those foundations compared to everything he has seen in his 35
years of doing concrete work.

73 de Marko N5ZO

Message: 1