Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square for 80

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square for 80
From: N5KM - Kris <n5kilomike@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 17:03:20 -0600
Bill,

I have a wire element 80m 4-square that is suspended from two catenary
ropes from the top
of my tower (125 ft.) positioned to the South of the tower. Closest 2
elements are about 90 ft. from
the tower. I also use the Comtek box.

>From what I've experienced I wouldn't worry about broad-banding the
elements. Initially, I switched
in some linear loading when going from SSB to CW. This arrangement was
abandoned when I didn't
experience any TX or RX detriment by just using it without the loading
all the time. Realize that the
Comtek phasing box will broadband the array by absorbing any mismatch
in the 100W port resistor.
So your rig/amp will see a low SWR even when moving from the CW band
to SSB band. (Note:
I have the elements tuned for midband at 3650 KHz.)

Also realize that the optimum element spacing is lost when you move
away from the design frequency.
So the bottom line is that the array will always be a compromise and
you'll never achieve an ideal
antenna. But it is far and away superior to the alternative. If your
final design is a little too close to
your tower or your land slopes too much, live with what you're capable
of putting up. Besides, the KH6
callsign is good for another S-unit.

Regarding AL elements vs. wire. The AL elements will more than likely
require one or two levels of guying
whereas the wire elements will not. This may not be a consideration
for you but for me I didn't want the guy
wires getting in the way of other backyard activities.

Good luck with the project.

Kris N5KM