Re: [TowerTalk] CMC-230-5K

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CMC-230-5K
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 13:00:51 -0700
On 4/21/16 12:47 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
Good advice on all counts.

Mobile installations are particularly problematic, because the
body/chassis is used as a counterpoise for our antennas, bonding of body
and chassis is often flaky (or non-existent, thanks to paint) and the
routing and design of interconnecting cables for vehicle systems pay
little of any attention to EMC.

If I wasn't lazy, and didn't have a box full of 2.4" 31 mix cores in the garage, I'd order some smaller sizes and other shapes for this sort of thing. Multiple turns is good, but if the wire is <0.1" in diameter, you don't really need a 2" hole to get a half dozen turns through it. You might need it to clear the big connector.. but that's what split cores in a clamp on housing are for...

I am lazy though, so I'll keep having 3" blobs of wire and core for a long time.

73, Jim K9YC