Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Lifting a mast off the rotator

To: Les Kalmus <w2lk@bk-lk.com>, TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Lifting a mast off the rotator
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 20:05:13 -0700
Les,

IMO, the best idea is to attach a u-bolt with a hoist point bracket to the mast and use a come-along inside to the tower top plate, although come-alongs can be too long to fit. The shortest headroom lifters I've found is are 500# and 1000# capacity lever chain hoists, < 8". This is my strategy for a safe very heavy mast lift off the rotator, even if a foot or more of clearance is needed. A forged eye is fitted to a hole drilled in the top plate of the tower as an attachment point. Once installed, the attach points can be left for the "next time".

Other ways to go: the die pry bar set from Harbor Freight and the 4 ton hydraulic frame straightener have been very handy for me to lift/separate/straighten things.

#68339   or #1654  (the porta power from HF is now 2x the price from Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/Goplus%C2%AE-Porta-Power-Hydraulic-Repair/dp/B017H8R9E2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461551404&sr=8-1&keywords=hydraulic+frame+repair+kit

the jaw separator might be useful for lifting once a pry bar gives some space for it, but needs a good purchase. Or use the small extension cylinder to a u-bolt fastened lift point above the tower top. Or use a small scissor jack, which I bought for taking apart rohn 25. The cylinders are also good for straightening bent tower parts.

On a used 2800 I acquired the prior owner had secured a cut off box end wrench on the center bolt with a screw through the wrench handle and threaded into the Orion plate about 2" out from the bolt, oriented so the split mast clamp clears the wrench. Now I know why he did that.

Grant KZ1W