Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor load bearing weight

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor load bearing weight
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 10:02:10 -0500
I think it is the universal answer, "It depends." In the case of a Kurt Andress converted prop pitch motor (a small one) he told me to let all the weight (over 250 lbs) rest on the rotor/rotator before tightening the clamping bolts/set screws on the thrust bearing(s.) I can see how a marginal unit might turn a heavier antenna and mast than it could safely support without accelerated wear or catastrophic failure. Surely the manufacturer must offer max load capacity ratings. I would not advise getting close to any published specs for fear of shortening the life of the equipment.

If you choose to let the rotor/rotator carry the load then perhaps you would consider mounting the unit above nuts on vertical bolts so that in normal use the weight is carried by the rotor/rotator which is supported by the nuts on the vertical mounting bolts. With a little clearance below the nuts you could lower the nuts which would transfer the load to the bearing and remove the load from the rotor/rotator. This would free the rotor/rotator to be removed and leave the antenna(s) and mast in a safely supported manner. You would want to secure the bolts to handle torque or otherwise they might flex sufficiently to cause a failure. This is not so complicated to do as it is for me to describe in text. While the rotor/rotator is removed you should secure the mast from rotating or it might destroy the coax loop that lets the mast and antenna(s) rotate.

Caveats:

1. I am not a degreed mechanical engineer.
2. My meds might not be properly titered.
3. The second paragraph above is my conjecture, unsupported by experience and previously unreviewed by competent authority.
4. Fitness for any specific use is purely coincidental.
5. Use of anything in the commentary above is solely at the risk of the user as it is submitted for its entertainment value, if any and no other use is recommended, authorized, or intended.

Patrick        NJ5G