Re: [TowerTalk] Hi-Gain BN-86 Balun

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hi-Gain BN-86 Balun
From: <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 02:42:28 +0000
Heh...heh...well, I gotta jump in here after lurking in
the background.  I had a BN-86 go bad on TH7DXX (Ohhh
sounds powerful!!) and I was able to get it's case open with
a vise to hold it, a sharp utility knife and a hammer to nudge
the knife along the seams.

SO, what I found was that the connections inside were
rivoted together and those rivots had rusted plus there
was some corroision.  I rewound the balun, soldered all
the connections, sealed the case back up, provided a
drain hole and made the thing usable....been working fine
ever since, certainly more than 10 years and I run a brute
Alpha most of the time.

Charlie, N0TT