Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 20:20:55 -0700
On 5/4/16 5:29 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
My thanks to whoever posted the note on K-Factor from Eham.net!

All you need to know for the rotator is how much torque it will handle,
Calculate the K factor for the antenna,  The rotator torque needs to be
greater than the calculated K factor for the antenna(s).

Not really

K factor comes out in a force * distance (foot pounds) but it's not a torque because acceleration doesn't factor into it.

Inertia would be mass * distance ^2
Acceleration would be a angle/time^2

T = alpha * I = mass * distance^2/time^2

Torque is force * distance = (mass * distance/time^2) * distance

You could assume some nominal acceleration (1/sec^2) I suppose and then hope that the scale factors come out right. Maybe for feet and pounds it does?