Re: [TowerTalk] Connectors

To: tmartin@chartermi.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Connectors
From: "jcjacobsen@q.com" <jcjacobsen@q.com>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 16:51:50 -0400 (EDT)
Tom asked: W8JWN

::::I wonder if anyone has run a test on spliced coax and loss? I used
spliced coax, back in the 60s and 70s, without noticing any perceivable
loss.:::

I seem to remember seeing, in a magazine (CQ, 73, QST, or ??) quite a while
back, a picture of someone who would splice coax by trimming the outer cover
back, pulling the shield off the inner and strip the inner. He would then lay
the two ends, side by side, facing the same direction. Twist the inner
together, then the shields. Solder them, and then tape the shields back down
onto the cable away from the end, and then continue taping up to the end to
cover the inner conductor. He was using it on phased verticals on either 80 or
160. Didn't worry about impedance bumps or mismatch. Claims it worked very
well. I sometimes think "we" get to hung up on a perfect match, no impedance
bumps, trying to get the very last ounce (db) of power out instead of just
operating and enjoying the hobby. Just my $.02.

73 es GDDX
K9WN Jake