[TowerTalk] Strategy for Erecting Large Yagi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Strategy for Erecting Large Yagi
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 19:57:17 -0700
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 18:48:18 -0700
From: Jerry Gardner <jerryw6uv@gmail.com>
To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>

Hello Tower Talkers,

I've decided to replace my TH-7DX with a larger antenna that includes 40M,
so I bought an OptiBeam OB17-4 and need to figure out a way to get it up on
the tower.

I was able to build the TH-7DX in my front yard in one piece and it was
then a simple job to tram-line it up to the top of the tower. The OB17-4 is
way too large to be completely built anywhere near the tower so I need to
figure out the best way to get it up there in pieces.

I have enough room to build the boom and the elements individually, but not
enough to assemble them to each other. For anyone not familiar with the
OB17-4, it has 17 elements on a 39' boom. The three 40M elements are 48'
long. The boom and each of the 40M elements has a truss to prevent sagging.
The tower is 60' free-standing with a 20' mast.

Anyone have any tips on how to make this work?

73,
Jerry

##  The  pvrc  mount  wonmt work since the optibeam uses a  square boom.   A
buddy has the
OB17-4  and the damned thing weighs  220 lbs.  ( 100 kg).... not including coax
+ balun.
He used a crane to lift it to the top of his  80 ft freestanding  tower.
Trying to manhandle a
220 lb ant on the roof of a home is no fun.   Too much to go wrong.... one
mistake and you could easily
damage yourself..or the roof....or the  yagi....which is one helluva lot of
money..and made from
metric  sized tubing.

##  Use a crane if at all possible.  That’s the fastest, safest way  to to get
it up there...and requires
the least  amount of  people for help.   Wham bam..done.

Jim   VE7RF