Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Strategy for Erecting Large Yagi

To: Jerry Gardner <jerryw6uv@gmail.com>, Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Strategy for Erecting Large Yagi
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 20:59:46 -0700
seems like the story of building a sailboat in the basement..

Seriously, I'd rent a boom lift, 60/65' ones might work if you can get really close to the tower, since the working height is a bit more with you in the bucket. Then carry up boom and each assembled element separately and build in place on the mast at tower top. Then raise the assembled antenna higher on the mast.

All buckets I've seen are rated 500 lbs, so you might get a helper in it with you and an element. They are easy to drive and learn to operate, just go slow. Get instructions from the delivery guy and particularly remember the interlocks and ground vs boom control switching.

I've rented an 85' a couple of times, 60' once and 40/45' three times for antenna work without climbing. The rental yard of the 85' required an insurance binder since I am not a licensed/bonded contractor, which my home/liability insurer issued at no cost. The 40's are common but often sold out, 60/65's harder to get, and 85's very hard, it's all about construction demand. btw the Genie's up to 85' are made about a few miles from my QTH, and the production is running flat out. Be aware that some 85' and taller may have spreading axles to provide stability so you need space beyond the 8' travel width dimension, and they weigh 30k# or more. Definitely get a 4wd unit unless the surface is super solid. I got an 85' 2wd stuck and the largest tow truck ever seen retrieved at for many $$. Straight boom or articulating makes no difference to me since I don't have a reach over or horizontal clearance issue. I rented whatever is available and now own a 40' articulating one found at local auction.

A 60' here rents for $475/day plus $180 rt delivery. I've had to wait 2 weeks for a 60' machine. An over the weekend rental may get an extra free day if I don't exceed 8 hours on the run time meter. The stop time is when I call for pickup.

Have fun with your project!

Grant KZ1W
Redmond, WA