Re: [TowerTalk] FXL-780 hardline connector prep

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FXL-780 hardline connector prep
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 12:27:57 -0400
Hi Gary. I do not know anything about your exact cable but I had a similar issue with some 75 ohm 7/8" armored hard-line that I have been using for over 15 years now. Now you are going to cringe at my solution, and I admit I am a hack but my solution was to use a small butane torch to melt the dielectric out of the cable. I found it to be very controllable and gave me exactly the results I needed. Here are a could of pics showing how I used the cable. Also, note that in my case standard hardware store copper fittings made ideal parts to use as I was able to self thread the copper fitting into the ID of the hard-line. I used the standard anti-oxidant goop before finally threading it in place.

These two images show the application of a standard N-connector onto the hard-line, in other images I have (if you look on my pages) you can see where I designed and built up transformers for 2m and 70 cm to use with this cable.

http://w8bya.com/index.php/Misc/HAM-1/catv4

http://w8bya.com/index.php/Misc/HAM-1/catv4

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com