Re: [TowerTalk] FXL-780 hardline connector prep

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FXL-780 hardline connector prep
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 10:17:15 -0700
On Mon,5/23/2016 9:07 AM, Gary Smith wrote:
The foam has to be cored out, the jacket removed & I understand there
is a flaring to be made on the center conductor and also one on the
shield before joining the two halves of the connector. I'm not aware
of how you do this by hand without the speciality tools.

Every NEW hardline connector I've bought has come with good instructions packed with the connector, and I've been able to find a pdf of instructions online for those connectors I've bought used or that came without instructions. Several years ago, I acquired a nice long length of Andrew VXL5-50 on a spool, and was able to find new connectors for it, which came with with instructions. I don't recall details, but I didn't need any tools more specialized than a hacksaw, a big bench vise (to hold the line while I cut it), and pliers/wrenches. I don't think I needed to solder the center -- I think it screwed into the hollow center. (I'm going from 3 year old memory).

73, Jim K9YC