Re: [TowerTalk] One of our own...

To: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, "Towertalk@contesting.com" <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One of our own...
From: Courtney Judd <k4wi@k4wi.net>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 18:25:34 -0500
my point is that the dipole worked quite well over 15 khz but the loop works equally well over 90khz plus the loop is much quieter... rain static etc than the dipole. I have had quads/loops for many years and they have certain advantages over dipoles. case in point in the 1980's my neighbor then WA4BCY and I then K4JYO had equal setups: Drake C-lines, sb220 and 110 ft towers. Only difference was Don had a Hygain TH6DXX and I had a Hygain Hy-quad.. 2 el. when the bands were open we were virtually the same TX and RX.... BUT I consistently could hear/work before he could and could close later than him. My point is that the article seems to say that a dipole is a better bet than a verticle pol. loop... my experience says otherwise! agn my 2 cents! lol, 73's Cort K4WI

David Gilbert <mailto:xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Wednesday, May 25, 2016 2:23 PM

He didn't say that it put out a stronger signal. He said it tuned more broadly and was quieter. The fact that it got quieter in spite of the the shift to vertical polarization suggests to me it simply was more lossy.

Dave   AB7E