Re: [TowerTalk] Sad news N5IA SK in tower fall

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sad news N5IA SK in tower fall
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 15:29:42 -0400
I have seen probably 50 different ham tower installations representing well
over 100 towers and worked on probably a dozen of them (in addition to my
own).  I have never seen a ham tower with a full length steel safety wire
running on it.

I am not saying it's bad - its better - no argument.  But if someone is "not
working" on ham towers without it, then they are not working on ham towers,
end of story.

In any case, I am fully respectful of the choices made by N5IA.  Clearly,
they were processed decisions.

We can all learn from tragedies.  But jumping from free climbing at any
height and age danger to "won't climb without a full length running safety
cable" serves no practical purpose in the ham community.

Ed  N1UR