Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: OWAs or Fans?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: OWAs or Fans?
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 21:18:46 -0400
I have some questions along that line Jim.

I see chokes made of 2 or 3 cores with "tightly wound turns, yet when I look at your data, it appears "to me" that larger diameter turns are more effective. Adding chokes in series is effective. I've seen that with the current fan dipole for 75 as well as you hanging 3 in a row Then I see the tightly wound choke using parallel THHN wire. I believe the THHN is fed as if it were a single wire.

If I could get by with two chokes of 2 cores in series, would the parallel THHN, or RG-400 tightly wound with 7 or 8 turns be as effective as the chokes shown.

I need to go back and read the part with the parallel THHN again.
Unfortunately, I don't absorb this as quickly as I did 30 or 40 years ago.

I'd like to keep the weight and visibility down and be able to feed it 8X-LL at the legal limit. I fear just operating the 80 meter band below 3.7 will give too high a voltage with SWR . The 8X will run from the feedpoint back yo the remote switch. From there in it will be either LMR-400, or BuryFlex

Thanks for putting up all this information Jim. I often wonder how many hours you have invested in these tutorials. I've done some technical writing, mainly with and on computers and computer systems with my last job, so I have a vague idea.

73

Roger (K8RI)