[TowerTalk] Noise Cancelling For 6M

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Noise Cancelling For 6M
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 23:40:32 -0700
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 21:26:54 -0500
From: Gary Huber <GLHuber@msn.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Noise Cancelling For 6M

I use the TIMEWAVE ANC-4 which uses 180 phase plus amplitude (from a
sense antenna) to cancel noise on the primary antenna. It works best
against a single local noise source as you have described. I have not
used mine on 6 meters but its frequency range is 500 kHz to 80 mHz, so
it does 6 meters. https://timewave.com/support/ANC-4/ANC_4TW8x11a.pdf

73 ES DX,
Gary - AB9M

##  watch out, either version JPS / Timewave  of the ANC-4  will result in a
loss
of 6db of the main signal....which is normal due to the hybrid..and the
tradeoff for using it.
The noise sense ant has to be located close to the actual noise source as
possible, for
best results.....and not too big of a noise sense ant.   The unit is RF
switched,  and wont
switch with anything much less than a few watts on TX.   So dont stuff  2-3
watts into it,
or it will fry the unit if prolonged.  There is a factory mod of it, for qrp
use, so it switches at
real low power, but then the unit is permanently stuck in this qrp mode, with I
think a max
of 5-10 watts  max  allowed, in normal operation.   You might want to
experiment  with the
noise sense ant,  with both H  and V orientation.   You get max noise
cancellation effect,
when the entire mess is  equal amplitude....and opposite phase.

Jim  VE7RF